9.09.2006

pessimism irks me

I'm not sure how eloquently I can explain my frustrations at the moment... that's my disclaimer.

Pessimistic people are worthless. When confronted with a problem, perhaps out of your area of concentration, why brush it aside and say "I just don't think it's feasible"? Look, there you are still in the dark, still with the same problem. When confronted with a problem, again, on a topic outside of your knowledge base, why would you close off and discourage those interested in finding a solution?

This afternoon I came across something I am beginning to feel very strongly about. Many people are beginning to acknowledge the urgency of reducing and eliminating the use of fossil fuels from daily activities. As a student of architecture, I recognize that close to half of the fossil fuel consumption, and therefore carbon dioxide release, is related to the built environment. I recognize that everyone in my profession is capable of making large contributions to the solution. It is the major responsibility of all designers to become aware of how the decisions they make can lead to excessive consumption. It is the responsibilty of all designers to begin to address the issue in their own work and in their own communities.

1 Comments:

Blogger Helen said...

optimism is a political act.

i'm stealing this from my old boss, but I like it.

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home