2.01.2006

the past 34 hours have been amazing.

I've been giddy about this drawing all day. i started it at 6am today, although I've been sketching about the idea all week. (note that the rest of the week, and night, had been devoted to the other topic of rest areas which ended in an acceptable montage, but it doesn't convey the message successfully, therefore, never ever showing it)

I put together a graphic that shows the lifespan and quality of life (in terms of monetary value contributed to the family) of my matrilineage while also sneaking in the assignment to compare the human body to an automobile. The deep red gestural lines represent the quality of life of those past, the orange-red line is me, hi! and the peachy line would be my descendant, weird.

i really want yu araki to see this because just last night, i reminded him that we were all going to die.

The assignment part of the drawing is comparing the cool areas, which represent the value of a car, to that of my life. (note the immediate drop in the top curve after buying a new car, and also how the money lost after disposing of a car plunges down past the cost of an education, because it's non-renewable) If I were to keep a car for 10 years at a time, I will get a new car about 5 times in my life, sahweet.

The grey tones represent awareness/ consciousness. I can only really remember the value of the used mini-van my mom began to drive in 1995. so the middle grey tone goes from that point until the present, 2006. The black tones are estimation, suggesting the Jetta will stay with me for another 6 years, until 2012.... i can't imagine what I'll do without it.... or what will replace it... Hypercars anyone?

So other things I've noticed that this graphic conveys...
I went from two matriarchs to none... right when I need them to boost me into "contributing-hood" (Good thing matriarchs have matriarch sisters, aunts and great-aunts included).

I have just covered at least 100 years. I will eventually understand the way living practices have changed over ten decades. can't wait to be wise... but obviously i'll never really be old...

The chart came from somewhere, and keeps going somewhere, without me.

Ahh, relief, I get to live past 2050. And have found a way to express how I feel after these past few years.

it took more than an hour to figure out how to make the image small enough to post, i had no idea how awesome illustrator's resolution can be. also, i want to hear comments.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

pretty awesome - send hi res for desktop background!

love,
jeff

8:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, that's sweet. even without the explanation, but with it, it's even better.

my dad's still never seen any of your architecture. you know he wants to. : )

i started a drawing class today, so I was excited to start reading about you drawing at the same time. mine, however, consisted of learning french names of body parts by wealthy french mothers pointing at a beautiful black woman modeling for us in the middle of the room.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home